1 OBSCURE FOX: Mental Health Prac Tips

terrible unedited & unadulterated food reviews, personal life ventures; occasionally good music

Saturday 17 October 2015

Mental Health Prac Tips

Just some I researched and gathered. I am starting mine very soon. Next week on Monday to be exact. I always make sure I have stuff and relevant information written down on my notebook so I don't be completely clueless when I show up.

  • I think the best thing you can do as an undergrad student is ask questions! You are not expected to know everything, but asking questions shows you are keen, and people are more than happy to share their knowledge this way
  • It also makes you look really good if you have an understanding of the MSE (mental state examination) and a basic understanding of the drug categories (eg antipsychotic, mood stabiliser) and show initiative in searching for information.
  • Show empathy, watch the more experienced nurses and see how they develop rapport/thereapeutic relationship etc. Also, don't be afraid of patients with mental illness, chat to them, even about everyday stuff like what the hospital food is like etc.
  • Don't stand over patients. Always ask to sit down next to them.
  • Do not react when they say things like 'I've had 17 abortions' or 'I got raped for 10 years then took a heroin overdose'. You will hear and see horrific things, but DO NOT REACT. Reacting is seen as judging.
  • http://www.nursebuff.com/2014/09/psychiatric-nursing-mnemonics/
  • Listen. Do not judge (this can be very hard as humans judge each other all the time). If u can't offer any advice, don't. Touch is important, but some psych patients don't like people touching them - it sets them off - you usually have to judge this by the patient.
  • Don't walk right into a room even after u have knocked. I ALWAYS say 'Can I come into your room?' or 'would you mind if I sat on the bed?' (to talk to someone etc). Let them invite you into their room. Some patients are long term and their room is their home.
  • Remember always that you cannot fix every problem. Sometimes, patients just want someone to vent to, or to talk to re their problems. DO NOT get sucked into every little detail - you will waste too much time talking & won't get ur other work done. I always say b4 talking to someone 'I can spend 20 minutes with you (for example), and then I must see my other patient/s'. That gives the patient ur with the expectation that u can't spend the entire night with them. If u let them talk about EVERYTHING, you will be in their room all night and they will follow you around, so you don't get any work done.
  •  Involve the patient's family as much as possible in patient's life & treatment.
  • Try to sit in with the psychiatrist when u can (& if they allow) when he/she is assessing a patient, so that u have input into what they're saying to patient.
  • Always assess how medications affect patients.
Wish me luck. And I will update this or post a new one and let you guys know how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments, feedback, compliments? non? oui?